I love reading Copyblogger.com, today’s was especially good: How to become a better writer. It is great advice for becoming a better artist, a better cook, a better anything – basically the process consists of practice, Practice, PRACTICE.
The ten steps to being a better person can follow the same format.
Every day, you simply:
- Be better at being.
- Continue to work at being a better person.
- Think of ways to be a better person.
- Put those ways into practice at being a better person.
- Think of some more ways you can be better.
- Make a list of ways to be better.
- Figure out how to be better a little bit at a time.
- Be better a little bit at a time.
- Continue being better incrementally.
- Take a look at your progress while being better.
You get the picture. Sometimes being a better person means being a better example. Showing even one other person that it is possible to be better at being, can give them an incentive to try to be better too. (Imagine what the world could be like, if every tried to be a better person instead of being a richer person?)
We are always in process of becoming – there is no magical age at which we are “done” growing up or growing old – except when the body dies. Then the body is done. You still go on (as far as I have been able to determine). You. The essence of you. And you can always find something to improve. Make it a game.
Please don’t think I am saying you are less than perfect. At every moment of your existence you are perfect in that moment. I am saying that striving to improve in all the small ways – makes you appreciate the perfection that you have in your existence.
If you need some examples of practicing being better, here they are:
- Notice the birds singing where ever you are.
- Really see the dogs and cats (or any animal, really) that you meet, as individual personalities, individual beings.
- When you ask how someone is, be sincerely interested in their answer.
- Acknowledge someone’s grief.
- When you say “thank you”, feel grateful in that moment.
- Smile more.
- Laugh more and out loud.
- Find somewhere that you can take your socks and shoes off, and stand on the grass – actually touching the earth.
- Look up at the sky.
- See the clouds.
- See the stars.
- Enjoy the smell of foods cooking.
- Look at your food before eating it.
- Read your favorite children’s book again.
- Write a thank you to someone you have never met, or will never see again.
- Think about what you are hearing when someone is talking to you (not what you want to say).
- Hug someone you love, just because.
Have fun being better.